Emerald Youth Foundation is a Christian, urban youth and community ministry in Knoxville, TN serving over 2,000 young people annually. Emerald Youth’s ministry is implemented through a network of more than 18 churches and faith-based organizations to raise up a large number of urban youth who love Jesus Christ and become effective leaders who help renew their communities.
- Medical, Dental, Life, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability insurance paid 100% for employee.
- Voluntary benefits available for family members
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Holidays
PROGRAM SUMMARY: JustLead is a youth leadership program of EY implemented through a coalition of neighborhood churches and faith-based organizations serving urban youth. The after school component for elementary, middle, and high school students includes Bible study, tutoring, homework help, health/fitness/nutrition instruction, field trips, service learning opportunities, and job and college readiness activities.
JOB SUMMARY: The JustLead Ministry Director provides Christian youth development and family leadership in a specific church or a faith-based organization (FBO), enabling youth to engage relationally and comprehensively in faith, learning, and health activities through Emerald Youth Foundation and partnering organizations, so they may enjoy the fullness of God, achieve developmental outcomes, and be prepared for leadership. The JustLead Ministry Director plans and provides leadership for JustLead and family engagement programs, assists high school participants in their transition to post-secondary experiences, manages young adult relationships, and helps facilitate the congregation to be a strong and active partner in all ministry initiatives. This role will integrate into the life of the neighborhood, institutions, families, and others, helping to facilitate long-term connections and relationships with young people, their families, congregations, other adults, and peers
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Actively identify, recruit, engage, and support neighborhood youth and young adults to participate in the ministry. Engage young people already involved in congregation to create a unified youth ministry culture. Responsible for ensuring target numbers of youth and young adults are comprehensively engaged in faith, learning, and health programs through Emerald Youth or partnering organizations.
- Manage Emerald Youth ministry programs at the church or FBO and assist in the programs as needed. Ensure engagement of young people to other faith programming in the church i.e., worship, pastoral care, congregation activities. Coordinate and direct the mid-week discipleship ministry for all ages.
- Attend assigned church or FBO and serve as part of the team staff, act as Emerald Youth liaison with pastor/director and manage JustLead Leadership team. Engage and mobilize congregation to support programming. Connect congregation adults and youth with neighborhood youth to ensure more relational in comprehensive engagement.
- Support older high school youth in making transition to young adulthood, including engagement in calling and career center. Maintain relationships with the young adults while in their post-secondary experiences.
- Identify constraints or leakage related to the Emerald Youth pipeline that could keep children, youth and young adults from being comprehensively engaged or meeting outcomes. Seek solutions working collaboratively with supervisor and church leadership to attempt and resolve issues so youth can move forward in programs.
- Ensure participation in JustLead city-wide and area activities and sports.
- Manages neighborhood partners by growing existing relationships and developing new partnerships (i.e., churches, businesses, schools & other youth organizations) that support comprehensive engagement of youth. Connect and support young people in other activities with community partners.
- Assist in recruiting, as well as lead and supervise a team of JustLead Coordinators, AmeriCorps, and volunteers to ensure strong youth-focused church/FBO partnerships, effective youth, young adult, and family programming, and other needed community partnerships.
- Work closely with human resources in the selection process for new team members, including interviewing identified top candidates as needed. Identify indigenous population for both volunteering and employment opportunities. Work with staff to develop objective performance measurements to ensure consistent high-quality performance is met and development opportunities are recognized and addressed. Train staff in areas as needed. Instill and encourage spiritual disciplines for all members and help the team to grow and become better through high standards, discipleship, and modeling the teachings of Jesus Christ.
- Oversee safety at site, ensuring all team members comply with organizational safety standards, including but not limited to behavior and discipline, child ratios, transportations, CPR, and first aid.
- Ensure that site maintains sound fiscal management by ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures. Submit budget recommendations as required. Track and report required data as required and provide measurements.
- Participate in area ministry network and organization events, including working outside normal schedule as needed.
- Maintain a current CDL and drive large vehicles/buses as needed.
- Deliver effective and timely communication and ensure staff does the same.
- Manage additional projects and tasks as assigned, and participate with any assigned groups or committees.
- Dedicated Christian with clear knowledge of the Gospel and a passion for the mission of Emerald Youth Foundation; connected to a church community; possesses a strong reputation for honesty, integrity, and high moral standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Ministry or related field.
- Experience managing people.
- 3-5 years of experience developing, refining, evaluating and/or sustaining programming.
- Experience managing youth-focused faith, academic, and/or sports programs – preferably in an urban setting preferred.
- Experience in managing pastoral and congregation relationships desired.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills; ability to prioritize tasks. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to achieve results under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Good driving record. Ability and willingness to obtain CDL with P endorsement and drive large vehicles/buses.
- Willingness to work extended hours.
- Ability to work efficiently in a collaborative setting.
It is the policy of Emerald Youth Foundation (EYF) to provide employment opportunities to all people without regard to race, color, sex, age, or national origin.
Section 702 of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 provides that the religious discrimination law will not apply to a religious corporation, association, educational institution or society with respect to the employment of individuals of a particular religion to perform work connected with the carrying on by such a corporation, association, educational institution or society of its activities.